29 June 2008

Resistance

I am increasingly feeling the need to destash like mad. I'm not just talking yarn--I want to get rid of most of my needles as well.

Am I completely insane?

I just keep looking around my room and seeing so much stuff. I'm attempting to pare down and get rid of/sell/donate as much stuff as humanly possible. I could recoup a hell of a lot of cash from my stash at this point, and it would make moving far easier.

I know it's a necessity in knitting to plan projects far in advance, and sometimes yarn will sit for YEARS before it's used...but this requirement is completely antithetical to my natural impulses.

Just stop me before I do something I'll regret.

Also, pink sweater update: The cat piss smell came out, but not before someone went into my bathroom last weekend while I was out of town and threw up all over the place. Only a tiny bit got on the sweater, but I think I'm just going to cut out that bit of yarn and not even bother with cleaning it again.

I just can't win, huh?

[Rereading this post, I realize this sounds depressing. I'm just trying to sever myself emotionally from physical objects, aside from records. I'm donating approximately 40% of my well-loved book collection and multiple trashbags filled with clothes to charity in the coming weeks. Everything is up for reevaluation, and my knitting just happens to be on the brain at this moment. I don't think I'll be giving it up anytime soon...but I might use this as an excuse to get rid of my current needles and upgrade to those gorgeous wooden Knit Picks interchangeables.]

5 comments:

Noelle said...

Stop! Put down your needles and yarn and step back.

I know the feeling of wanting to declutter and just get rid of STUFF. I don't think that's a bad thing, but if you are doing it kind of on a whim or you are just overwhelmed, may don't. On the other hand, maybe you do need to just get rid of it and your current state is the point you need to get to in order to de-clutter. I guess I'm thinking just don't get rid of stuff to your long-term detriment - i.e. stuff that you are going to regret having gotten rid of.

If you have stash to unload maybe some of it would like to come my direction? I'd be happy to buy it from you! Although I just spent $300 this weekend at www.littleknits.com. It started with an innocent sale on Opal sock yarn for $8/skein (1 skein makes a pair of socks) but you had to buy a full bag. It ended with me perusing their entire sale section and purchasing 5 more 10 skein BAGS of yarn. Patagonia Nature Cotton (hand dyed), Noro Kureyon, Rowan Baby Cashmere blend... I'm sure I will regret this... my brain just kept saying "but it's on sale! it's such a good deal!" UGH.

sarah b. said...

yeah DON'T donate your needles to charity!!! If you REALLY want to get rid of some things, maybe we should have a swap/sale at SnB???

Deanna said...

I like the idea of a swap, Sarah. I'll have to post about that.

Noelle, I am envious of your stash enhancements. I probably will keep most stuff, but I can post anything I will be getting rid of here if you'd like!

Thanks for the advice, guys...I'm feeling much better lately about this. It's not clutter if it can be used to make something valuable, right? RIGHT?

Noelle said...

Right! It's not clutter, it's raw material :-)

Have you ever done a Swap? I've been completely in love with Ravelry and joined two Swaps - one in particular is SO MUCH FUN. It's called Swap on a Budget - $20 budget + shipping. Maybe you can pass off some of your yarn that way too? Check out that group and let me know what you think!

Shay said...

No, you are not mad. I can't get into my sewing room and yet I can't seem to resist the urge to get more "stuff" particularly if it is second hand and terrifically cheap.