19 October 2008

A Thrifting Virgin No More

I did it! I'm no longer a thrifted sweater virgin - I was a little nervous about doing it at first, but after I snagged this sweater for $2.50 from a rummage sale I decided to go for it. It was fun!


This is what I started with: a size small Gap sweater - 42% wool, 28% alpaca and 30% nylon. I read through a tutorial on recycling yarn that I found here and voila!

I now have 689 yards of lovely chocolate brown yarn. I’m thinking it’s a bulky weight - it’s three strands loosely plied together - it is really soft but I’m hoping the nylon content will give it strength. I promised hubby another pair of Ragg hiker socks from this yarn - I think I might have enough for the whole family :-)

I washed it and after it dries I'll wind it into hanks. The tutorial recommends frogging wool sweaters first and then washing the hanks (reverse is true for cotton) so the curlyness should flatten out.

5 comments:

The Queen of Fifty Cents said...

Once you discover the joys of thrifting there's no going back! Looks like some great yarn, and the socks should be wonderful.

Noelle said...

Oh, I think I've been bit by the thrifting bug - between felting and frogging I yarn everywhere :-)

Deanna said...

Sweet find!

I have a bag of six or so really nice thrift store sweaters (including one that's 100% cashmere) awaiting use. I'm going to wash the sweaters, rip the seams, and knit directly from the sweater pieces in order to save time winding balls.

Geez, I'm lazy.

I've been knitting more lately, I PROMISE you an update this weekend. Possibly with photos.

Anonymous said...

Very clever..! size small Gap sweater was looking good.

Anonymous said...

Funny...this idea never crossed my mind and I am an upcycling fanatic. I make purses out of magazines. The fact that I never heard or thought of this before baffles me.