23 July 2008

Noelle Is Secretly Plotting Blog Domination

Ordinarily I'd wait a few days after Noelle posts before writing a new entry, but it's obviously time to make my presence known! Mwahahahaha!

A bit of housekeeping:

I have no pictures (yet), but I made out like a bandit in the Rogers Park SnB yarn swap. I still have a few odds and ends and some sock yarn to unleash upon an unsuspecting knitter or two, but I did far better than I expected.

Charity blanket squares have been coming along like mad. I have approximately eight balls of Lion Brand acrylic/wool blend that I'm using, and I'd like to have these all finished before I move. I'm not sure I'll meet that lofty goal, but I might come close.

As for my Bad Penny sweater, the cat urine smell didn't come out after multiple soaks. *sob* So much for that. I still have four or five balls of the Cascade Pima Silk I was using--all is not lost! I might have to track down more of it, though, or use a contrasting color for some stripes.

I still haven't finished the Ms. Darcy cardigan. On the last sleeve, STILL. I can't even remember where I left off, and I've been far too lazy to retrace my steps.

In my humble opinion, the upcoming issue of Interweave Knits looks mega promising (unlike the last issue, which was a snoozefest), while the new Knitty blows. I think now that Knitty no longer has any real competition on the free pattern front, they've slipped significantly. I hope the next issue is an improvement.

In non-knitting news, I'm interviewed out. I sent out sixty or so applications in my first week of job hunting, and I've been taking it a little too easy ever since. I've had four interviews, all but one went well...and I'm still waiting to hear back about scheduling another interview for next week.

I've also been doing my fair share of volunteer work. Open Books (you may remember them from the book drive at work last summer, Noelle) has a Reading Buddies program in which I've spent the past few weeks participating. If anything has lit a fire under my ass to pursue education as a career, this has been IT. These kids are rambunctious and smart and FUN. I've also been doing random events with One Brick.

I'm becoming a damn fine cook as well. :-)

Next week is the big move, so I'll post more details and pictures once I'm settled into my new home.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Deanna-
Thanks for mentioning Open Books on your blog!
We're delighted to have you as a volunteer and thrilled you're finding the experience worthwhile and inspiring.
Take care,
Dani

Noelle said...

Ooooohhhhhh, foiled again! Nah, just so much going on in my knitting life the last few months, I have been bubbling over with blog posts :-) I'm glad to hear from you and am looking forward to seeing pix of your newly swapped stash! Are you going to upload to Ravelry?? What a great idea to keep up with your volunteer work - what better way to spend your time (well, other than knitting) and also get exposed to some possible career change options? Teaching maybe??? I think that would be a really wonderful, rewarding career with summers off! Wahoo!